Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And the winner is....

I received the following picture today and would like to go ahead and submit it as the official photograph of the 2008 parents of the year.

The photo came in an email with the subject 'The moment before the pain begins.' I think this certainly qualifies. At first glance you can't help but notice the guy getting smacked in the face by the bat (at a Rangers game no less - no comments about Rangers batting - at least they're .500 so far).


But look a little closer. I especially like the lady in the tanktop who continues shoving in nachos as if she knew the guy's face would take the hit. Everyone else is taking cover like they're in the middle of a hail storm. Except for the little girl in the middle. Yeah, that's her - the one who is basically being shoved toward the bat like a miniature human shield. I'm assuming that's dad and guessing mom's already under the seats. Congratulations to our winners.

I'd like to think that I would have reacted differently. You know, throw myself in harm's way to protect my children. But therein lies the problem. There's four of them. Do I grab the closest? The smallest? The girl? There is no good solution. No doubt any of these scenarios would only make way for future counseling sessions over the way 'dad liked you better' or 'always made things easier for you.'

So it's every man for himself. Kudos to this guy for figuring this out in advance and letting everyone take their chances.

We leave for New Mexico tomorrow and I'm ready. I leave here a pile of work and take with me lines and songs to memorize for the VBS musical and two bible lessons to write for summer camp. That's a vacation.

Seriously it will be great to get away for a little while. Even though I've been tied to the office and not seen the gym in three weeks I'm still planning a trip up Wheeler Peak. My partners from last year - Tate, Aaron and Kevin will have just returned from a Vegas getaway. Slackers. I'll text them from the top.

Be back on at the end of the month - unless our mountain accomodations have wi-fi. Don't count on it.

No comments: