Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Here!


Our fantasy football draft is tonight. Finally there is some real NFL news coming through regularly. Don't get me wrong, the Brett Favre "I'm retired, no wait, I'm not retired" saga was fascinating...
Ok, to me it really wasn't. But at least it gave us a small taste of pigskin action during the baseball only time of the year.
But that's over now - Brett's a Jet and no, I don't plan on drafting him.
This is only my third year to participate in fantasy football. The past two years I've co-managed a team with my friend Tate Tefertiller. It was a good run. We won it outright in year 1 and split the pot with most points last year. So far, in two years I've invested $20 and won $300. We needed an extra team to fill the league this year so Tate and I parted ways. I figure why not, I'm playing with house, or actually my friend's money, for the next 10 years at least.
I'm definitely a Cowboy fan but I really enjoy the game itself. The nice thing about a fantasy team is that you've got guys in lots of games on any given Sunday. Now the enjoyment of watching other games is increased since you've actually got a vested interest in many of them as well.
So we'll see how it goes. I'm also turning a college football Top 20 poll each week to be posted on Allan's site. Go to www.allanstanglin.com and hit the link for KK&C Top 20. If anyone (other than those participating) has input about the weekly top 20 for consideration just post a comment here. I'm definitely not a huge follower of college ball so any tips would be appreciated.
School is in full swing and the kids are doing great. Except for the fact that Dillon picked up a stomach bug and has been home the past two days. What a schedule - all summer off, go to school for three days, stay home sick for two and then get a three day weekend.
I'm hunting with the boys Monday. Pictures to follow next week.
Everyone have a great Labor Day:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in 1882 as the Central Labor Union (of New York City) sought to create "a day off for the working citizens".
Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894.[1] All fifty states have made Labor Day a state holiday.
So if the original intent was to create "a day off for the working citizens" why don't we call it Non-Labor Day?
Just curious. Enjoy it anyway.

No comments: