Friday, August 22, 2008

Welcome Hadleigh!

Today, at the ripe old age of 36, I became a great-uncle. Now to clarify. I already considered myself to be quite an uncle. You could certainly say great. But today I became a great-uncle in the technical, genealogical, family tree kind of way. At about 8am this morning Hadleigh Ann Agnew came into this world. all 7 pounds 8 ounces of her, the daughter of my oldest niece.

We rolled into Oklahoma City (to our traditional OKC accomodations - Ron and Su's) about 12:30am. Got everyone settled in their designated sleeping areas and got the Suburban unloaded. Corlie was going in for her c-section at 7. Laid down on the newly purchased Coleman air-bed around 1:15 and set the alarm for 5:30. Keep in mind that it is the thought that counts.

The next thing I can clearly remember is Shanna waking me in a panic and saying it was 7. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind it seems I may possibly recall an alarm going off. The memory is faint and I cannot say for sure the event even occurred. At least that's what I told her since the job of waking us up was clearly on my shoulders. Fortunately she was much too focused on getting ready in the least amount of time to actually come down on me the way she probably should have.

And as is always the case, God was looking out for me. The procedure was delayed by an hour. We arrived at the hospital, had time for hugs and greetings with the rest of the family and then heard the announcement from the nurse that Corlie and Hadleigh would be out in about 5 minutes.

And they were. And we were there to greet them with everybody else.

August 22, 2008 - Hadleigh Ann Agnew is born and my new title makes me feel old.

But as many of you know August 22 was significant to our family for another reason. August 22, 2000 was the day that dad left this earth and claimed his much deserved place in heaven. Every year since, on this day, I've talked to mom. I've spoken with dad's sister, Aunt Pat. Every year since, on this day, Bill Podsednik, one of dad's best friends, calls mom. It's just tradition. Some sort of unwritten rule that we're going to check in on each other on this day.

We will always remember August 22 in this way. Today it's nice to have something else to remember. Naturally with all these thoughts I couldn't help but think of the following:

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that about Hadleigh's birth and your dad. What a sweet thing to add to that day of remembering!

The other thing that struck me while I was reading this (and you're still in the first hour of your late night road trip!) was this...When in the world did you have time to write this post?! Must've been somewhere between the waiting room and one of the many Corley family meals.

We had so much fun with ya'll this weekend!

David said...

3:38 pm on Saturday. I'm sure you and Shan were out running around somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that's just wrong! :)