Monday, August 18, 2008

Matthew 3:17

"This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

This is what Shanna and I were saying Sunday morning. Of course we say that often when speaking of our children (we do put 'daughter' in there when appropriate). But Sunday was different. Sunday was the culmination of the prayers of a mother and father, the discussions with their oldest child, and a three day class at Legacy titled 'Faith Builders.' (Again, a very special thank you goes out to Allan, Lance and Kipi).

Sunday was big news. A new assembly with the Legacy family meeting together in one service. A new worship center. And in that new worship center a new baptistry. And boy did it get a workout Sunday. There were seven baptisms Sunday - seven. Allan's summary still gives me goose bumps:

"God was saving souls and robbing hell." Indeed He was.

For us, the news was especially big as Dillon decided he was ready to devote his life to the Lord and put on Christ in baptism. I was given the honor of baptizing him. I've told God that I'm not sure how many times he will allow me to personally participate in such a joyous occasion. I've told him that I really don't care what that actual number is - as long as it's at least four. Today that number is down to three. More would certainly be welcomed but three is now the target. We will continue to pray for those three as we did for this one:


I had rehearsed for three days:

1. Talk about wanting to do this four times.

2. Talk about our discussions with Dillon and the Faith Builders Class and how he came to this decision.

3. Make the comparison to the Brandon Heath song "I am not who I was."

4. Take his confession and get it done.

But as we entered the water - I froze. And so did Dillon.

Literally.

You may have read in the previous post that members of Legacy were reading through the entire bible in the days that led up to our first assembly in the new building. Apparently the hot water pump was making too much noise and it was being picked up on the audio recording. Sometime Friday or Saturday the heater was turned off and in all the activity turning it back on got overlooked.

I had decided to skip the waders and just put on some shorts and get wet along with Dillon. As our feet hit the water the 'cold reality' set in. I looked out at the audience - many of whom were crowded around us within reach (a nice new capability):

I made it through the part about how we had discussed this with Dillon and how the impact of the Faith Builders class had helped bring him to this point. Then I looked down at Dillon and there were literally ripples running away from him as the shivered in the water. I'm not sure if he was trying to smile or keep his teeth from shattering - or both. I went into overdrive for fear that hypothermia may be setting in. I quickly spoke about the song "I'm not who I was" and said that when he came up out of that watery grave he would be a new person - different from who he was. I covered his mouth and basically said "I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" as I laid him back under the water.

He confessed to us at home for those of you keeping score.

He came up a new child of God and had the entire Legacy family read Colossians 3:1-4 to him:

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Did it go as I planned? No. But as always it went exactly as God intended. It didn't matter where we were or what was said. It didn't matter that the water could have been used to chill the Dr. Peppers for the waiting chicken dinner. The only thing that mattered was that one, actually seven, more souls were added to the kingdom of heaven Sunday.

I told you it was big news.





3 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

We are so happy for y'all and so proud of Dillon! Cold water confession or not, it was a beautiful moment and beautiful day! Congratulations to all of y'all!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! We were praying for all of you, especially Dillon. How happy we all are for his decision. We sent him an email. We wait and pray for the other 3, too! What a wonderful experience for you to baptize your son.

Jenn said...

YIPPEE!! I had to take Parker out after Dillon came up out of the water because he was shouting (really), "Yeah, Dillon!! Yeah, Dillon...Baptise!!".....so, Dillon got bapized and had his own personal pep ralley at the same time!!
We are so thankful for such a wonderful time for ya'll and Dillon!!