Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Jesus Card

Following up on the previous post, as promised, about complaining to God. In the first chapter of Habakuk we find him whining to God in a tantrum like manner. I have extensive experience in identifying tantrums and whining. 4 kids - enough said.

Anyway, the question came up in our small group about complaining to God. Should we, shouldn't we, why don't we...?

I'll admit at first I didn't think it appropriate - especially the way we see it in Habakuk. Who am I to go griping to God about what's happening to me? Like most of us, I could go on and on about the things that I think are wrong in the world, more specifically, my world. I could rant and rave about this and that while God just sits there in his infinite wisdom and listens.

When I'm finished with my tyrade and gasping for breath he plays the Jesus card.

He flashes an image of Jesus hanging on the cross and our 'conversation' is over. I've been trumped and rightfully so. It doesn't take an explanation like we see in Habakuk. It just takes a simple image of the sacrifice of his son and in an instant I realize what I see as issues, as trials, as hardships are ultimately the result of me being wrapped up in me.

I respectfully remove myself from the discussion with a "thanks for clearing that up."

So, I shouldn't complain to God, right?

Not so fast. What about the relationship between a father and his son? He knows we struggle and he knows we succeed. We don't have to tell him - he knows. But he would still like to hear about it. Our speaking (praying) to him is an integral part of that relationship. Isn't communication vital to any relationship?

So this is where I am for now and am still contemplating. I will share with God my triumps, my joys, my happy moments. But I will also go to him with what troubles me, with things that just aren't right. I will take my complaints to him and ask for his guidance, ask for clarification, ask for wisdom. And I'll do it in a way that never (note correct use of never) places the blame on him.

I'll start by praying that I can foster this same kind of relationship with my kids.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I think this Habakuk series is going to be great!

How on earth is Habakuk not in spell checker? It's a book of the BIBLE!!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad would be so proud of you, as I know your Mom is. You're a great example for your kids. By the way, we're pretty proud of you, too.